Kay Sconyers Moore first came over to Hilton Head Island with her family, by barge, in 1951. As a teenager she watched with wonder and awe the growth of the islands very early years. Her parents built the first house on the island on North Forest Beach called “Pioneer”. She and her dear friend, Verna Graves Crosby, were honored to cut the ribbon to the first two-lane drawbridge, named for South Carolina’s famous son, James F. Byrnes, in 1956. In 1982 the ladies also cut the ribbons to the four-lane fixed-span, J. Wilton Graves Bridge, named for Verna’s father, a veteran state legislator and highway official. Having lived here, with all its early history, Kay can truly call Hilton Head Island home.